> Products and Services > Shipping Human Remains
Shipping Human Remains
Southwest Airlines Cargo® understands the care and respect that is required when transporting loved ones to their final resting place. Our Southwest Support® service provides professional and reliable transportation for funeral homes and mortuary services.
Call (888) 922-9525
Booking Your Shipment
- Book human remains shipments in advance by contacting our Southwest Support Customer Care Center. We recommend that Customers book Southwest Support shipments at least 24 hours prior to departure. And, Southwest Support shipments may be booked up to seven days in advance.
- Southwest Support Customer Care Center is open seven days a week for our Customers to book transportation of human remains. Contact (888) 922-9525 Monday-Friday between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. (central time) and Saturday-Sunday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (central time).
- You must be a Known Shipper or a TSA approved Indirect Air Carrier to transport items on Southwest Airlines Cargo.
Southwest Support service is available to destinations across the Southwest Airlines® network. To view these locations, visit our Southwest Airlines Cargo zone map. Please Note: Southwest Support service is not available to/from Interline or Road Feeder Service destinations.
Military HR Booking Information
- Advance arrangements are required.
- View our Southwest Support rate sheets.
- Shipper must comply with all local, state, federal, and international regulations.
- Shipping containers containing dry ice will be subject to our current dry ice policy, which can be found in our Cargo Contract of Carriage. Wet ice is not allowed.
- Human remains, other than cremated remains, must be adequately secured in a casket, approved metal container, or combination unit to prevent shifting and escape of offensive odors. If the remains are in a casket, the casket must be enclosed in an outside shipping container of wood, canvas, plastic, or paper-board construction which has at least six (6) handles and sufficient rigidity and padding to protect the casket from damage with ordinary care in handling.
- Unembalmed remains must be placed inside two sealed body bags; or a sealed casket or metal container that prevents the escape of offensive odors or fluids; and then placed in an approved outside container that will adequately protect the contents from damage with ordinary care and handling.
- All human remains containers, other than a combination unit, must be placed in an approved outside container that will adequately protect the contents from damage with ordinary care and handling.
- All shipping containers must be new and cannot be reused.
- All human remains shipments must appropriately display the label "head" on the outer shipping container to assist handlers in aircraft loading and unloading operations.
- Appropriate documentation must accompany all human remains. This includes either a signed certificate of death, burial permit, and/or burial transit removal permit as mandated by local, state, and government regulations.
- Maximum allowable weight is 500 lbs.
- Southwest Support service is only available to/from SWA Cargo locations and must be transported on SWA aircraft.
- So we may honor the fallen soldier, please fill out the attached form, Military HR Booking Form, so we can coordinate security screening of any Escorts and/or Honor Guards, as well as clearance for planeside hearse access if needed.
- After completing the Military HR Booking Form, please contact Southwest Support Booking to make your booking at (888) 922-9525. See Booking Your Shipment below for hours.
- All bookings must be made 24 hours in advance of the requested departure time.
- All shipments must be tendered at the Southwest Airlines Cargo origin facility and picked up at the Southwest Airlines Cargo destination facility.
- Unless prior arrangements have been made, all shipments should be dropped off/picked up within the origin/destination Cargo facility's hours of operation.
- It is recommended that all shipments be tendered at least two (2) hours prior to scheduled departure time.